Why and how to avoid toxic eyeliner

I love eye makeup. I wear them almost everyday when not at home and when out somewhere for an extended period of time. It's the one makeup I will wear even when not wearing any foundations or lipsticks. The eyes are one of the ways to communicate, to hold the gaze of another, to seduce, to attract. When talking to someone, I look at the eyes to show that I am listening to what the person is saying. These are reasons enough for me to spend 1 minute or so to put on eye makeup before heading out.


The harmful components in some chemical eyeliners

Needless to say, the areas around the eyes are the most delicate areas on the face. Having toxic ingredients so close to the eyes could cause infections and irritations. The skin's the thinnest around the eyes which also makes it easier for harmful components to penetrate the skin and get into the bloodstream. Now that I am aware of the toxicity in most of counters' cosmetic lines with ingredients such as propylene glycol, sorbic acid, triethanolamine, and butylparaben to name a few, I have begun to search for safer, non-toxic, organic eye makeup lines. Also beware that cosmetic lines that do not advertise their ingredients do not mean that they are safe! In fact, I would say there are definitely suspicious and should be avoided at all cost!

The safe, natural and organic options

I'm a fan of the Vapour Organic beauty line. I am using their atmosphere soft focus foundation, siren lipstick and classic multi-use blusher, and recently acquired the mesmerize eyeliner/smoky eyetool. What I love about it is that it contains the healing properties of coconut oil, 70% organic, and does not contain nano particles. The application is easy, can be used to apply a defined line, or smudged up for a smoky look. It is however, quite pricey, but definitely worth the price.

Another but cheaper eye pencil made from natural ingredients that I recently purchased is from the Beauty Without Cruelty line - the Kohl Charcoal Grey Natural Eye Pencil. Priced at just around £5, it is quite a gem to keep. Obviously it does not match up to the Vapour Organic line and if you are worried that it does not mention anything about the ingredients being non-nano and organic, then I would say to avoid it all together.

The Lavera liquid eyeliner is another product I recently acquired purely because it is made of mostly natural, organic ingredients. Unfortunately, I find the application comes off easily and the brush is too fine to make anything solid out of it. Whilst most people make do with just eye pencil, I have the preference for liquid eyeliner because I just love the eye makeup style like the one worn by the Chinese supermodel Liu Wen in this post. Lovely isn't it? So I am still in the quest of finding a good, natural, organic and safe liquid eyeliner. Have any of you come across any?
Vapour Organic Eyeliner

0 comments:

Post a Comment